สวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่

ประวัติโดยย่อของสวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่คือ ได้ก่อตั้งขึ้นโดยนาย ฮาโรลด์ เมสัน ยัง (Mr.Harold Mason Young) มิชชั่นนารีชาวอเมริกัน ผู้เข้ามาเป็นอาสาสมัครสอนการยังชีพในป่าให้แก่พวกทหารและตำรวจชายแดน ในช่วงสงครามเกาหลี ( พ.ศ.2493-2496 ) โดยอาศัยพื้นที่บ้านที่ตนเช่าอยู่คือ บ้านเวฬุวัน เชิงดอยสุเทพ ซึ่งเป็นของนาย กี นิมมานเหมินท์ ( พ.ศ.2431-2508 ) และนาง กิมฮ้อ นิมมานเหมินท์ ( พ.ศ. 2437-2524 ) เป็นสถานที่เริ่มต้น โดยเริ่มเปิดเป็นสวนสัตว์เล็กๆ ของเอกชนขึ้นเป็นครั้งแรกเมื่อประมาณ พ.ศ.2495 โดยจ้างคนพื้นเมืองและชาวเขาจำนวนไม่มากนักช่วยดูแล

องค์การบริหารส่วนจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ ได้พิจารณาเห็นคุณค่าของสวนสัตว์ของนาย ฮาโรลด์ เมสัน ยัง ทั้งในฐานะเป็นแหล่ง พักผ่อนศึกษาสัตว์ของประชาชนในจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ และเป็นแหล่งดึงดูดนักท่องเที่ยวแหล่งหนึ่งตามโครงการปรับปรุงดอยสุเทพ เป็นสถานที่พักผ่อนหย่อนใจ จึงรับกิจการสวนสัตว์ของนาย ฮาโรลด์ เมสัน ยัง ไว้ในความดูแล ขององค์การบริหารส่วนจังหวัดเชียงใหม่

ตั้งแต่ปี พ.ศ.2526 สวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่ก็ได้รับความเห็นชอบจากกรมป่าไม้ กระทรวงเกษตรและสหกรณ์ และคณะรัฐมนตรีให้ขยายพื้นที่บริเวณเชิงดอยสุเทพ เพิ่มเติมอีกประมาณ 500 ไร่ ได้มีการแต่งตั้งคณะกรรมการส่งเสริมและพัฒนาสวนสัตว์ ประกอบด้วยผู้ทรงคุณวุฒิ ผู้เชี่ยวชาญทั้งจากภาครัฐและภาคเอกชน จำนวนหนึ่งโดยมี ศาสตราจารย์ อัน นิมมานเหมินท์ เป็นประธานดำเนินงานวางผังหลักกำหนดแนวทางพัฒนาสวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่ ต่อไปในอนาคตอย่างน่าสนใจยิ่ง

จากหลักฐานทางประวัติศาสตร์ทั้งประเภทตำนาน จารึก และภาพถ่ายทางอากาศยืนยัน ชัดว่าพื้นที่ส่วนหนึ่งของสวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่คือส่วนหนึ่งของ เวียงเจ็ดสิน เวียงโบราณรูปวงกลมที่สร้างขึ้นในสมัยพญาสามฝั่งแก่น กษัตริย์แห่งราชวงค์มังราย ลำดับที่ 8 ( พ.ศ.1945-1984 ) ร่องรอยคูน้ำ คันดินบางส่วนก็ยังปรากฎอยู่ในปัจจุบันซากอิฐจำนวนไม่น้อย ยังคงปรากฎทั่วไปในบริเวณสวนสัตว์เชียงใหม่ โดยเฉพาะบนเนินเนินเหนือที่เลี้ยงช้าง เป็นกองอิฐก้อนใหญ่มาก เป็นร่องรอยให้สามารถสันนิษฐานได้ว่าเป็นโบราณสถานที่เกี่ยวข้องกับ ทางศาสนา (ซึ่งเป็นที่ตั้งของโบราณสถานวัดกู่ดินขาวในปัจจุบัน)


Chiang Mai Zoo

The animal collections that Mr. Harold Mason Young have around Weluwan House where he rented must have kept increasing and require a larger area in the house. The beautiful area of Weluwan House, such as grass field in the front yard was used for keeping animal eventually.

According to Professor An Nimmanhaemin, an heir of Mr. Kee – Mrs. Gimhor Nimmanhaemin, he had asked Mr. Harold Mason Young, the tenant of Weluwan House, to move his zoo to another plot of land of Mr. Kee -Mrs. Gimhor Nimmanhaemin which also locates at the foot of Doi Suthep, being a part of Chiang Mai University nowadays. However, since Mr. Harold Mason Young is a citizen of America, a very influential country in the world, he had seek permission directly from Chiang Mai Governor to utilize reserved forest area at the foot of Doi Suthep. He finally obtained the permission to utilize reserved forest area at the foot of Doi Suthep, sized 60 Rai, as the location of the private zoo. The zoo was open from 6 April 1957 until Mr. Harold Mason Young passed away in 1975.

Chiang Mai Provincial Administrative Organization sees the value of Mr. Harold Mason Young’s zoo both as a place for relaxation and studying animal of people in Chiang Mai Province and as a tourist attraction according to the project to develop Doi Suthep into a place for relaxation. Therefore, Chiang Mai Provincial Administrative Organization has taken care of the zoo of Mr. Harold Mason Young.

Until 1977, the zoo was transferred to be under Zoological Park Organization of Thailand, Office of the Prime Minister from 16 June 1977 onwards. On 16 June 1987, Chiang Mai Zoo was 10 years old and in the decade the area of Chiang Mai Zoo has been expanded from 60-Rai area that Chiang Mai Province had permitted Mr. Harold Mason Young to utilize to 130-Rai area. From 1983, Chiang Mai Zoo was approved by Department of Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and the cabinet to expand the area at the foot of Doi Suthep for 500 Rai in addition. The Zoo Promotion and Improvement Committee was established. It consists of expert and professional from both government and private sectors and Professor An Nimmanhaemin was the chairman to set out the main plan and initiate the development roadmap of Chiang Mai Zoo in the future. According to historical evidences which are legends, records and aerial photograph, it is confirmed that a part of Chiang Mai Zoo is a part of Wiang Chet Lin, an circular ancient city built in the era of Phaya Sam Fang Kaen, the 8th King of Mangrai royal family (1945-1984). The trace of some canal and earthen dyke can still be seen. Nowadays many debris of bricks are generally seen around Chiang Mai Zoo, especially on the hill over the elephant zone there is a pile of large bricks which can be assumed that it is an ancient place related to religion (which is the location of Wat Ku Din Khao in present day.)



Booking.com

Rate us and Write a Review

Your Rating for this listing

angry
crying
sleeping
smily
cool
Browse

Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long

Show all timings
  • Monday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Tuesday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Wednesday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Thursday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Friday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Saturday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • Sunday08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
  • $$$$
  • Price Range - 100
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!

Claim This Listing